If you are a landlord and are considering letting your property, then we are here to help
Toggle content goes here, click edit button to change this text.
Guidance for Landlords
General Guidance for Landlords
Choosing a Letting Agent
Deposit Protection and Inventories
Other Certificates and Legal Considerations
Dealing with Rent Collection
Dealing with Ending Tenancies
Dealing with Problem Tenants
Growing your Portfolio
Buy to Let in St Albans
Our Services and How We Can Help You
High Quality, Low Costs:
We know that you want a regular income, low overall costs, and as little hassle as possible – you want the best rent, and the least amount of void possible. That is why we always approach our tenants early to enquire about renewals, and always advertise our managed properties early, to ensure we can get the highest rents, highest quality tenants, lowest costs, and quickest turn around times.
We are pretty sure that there will be “cheap letting agents” out there who will offer you a lower monthly management charge than we would, however we are confident that when you take into account hidden fees, loss of rent, and bad management of your property, “cheap letting agents” will cost you far more than we would, and we will give you a fantastic service at a fair price.
Just see what one of our existing portfolio landlords has to say:
I have been renting properties over the last eighteen months with Let Me Properties and I cannot praise them enough, they go the extra mile every time and make life a lot easier for me as a landlord. They check the properties on a regular basis and when they are available for rent start to advertise them early to ensure you don’t get gaps without income. They have achieved top rents for me in all my properties and I would recommend them to landlords or tenants alike. – Mrs L Southall, St Albans Buy-to-Let Landlord
Tailor Made Service for Every Landlord:
Every property and every landlord is different, that’s why we tailor make our service for you. If you want to be included at every stage of the process, we’ll do this with pleasure. If you would rather leave it all to us, no problem, that’s what we are here for.
We are specialists at looking after properties for Non-Resident Landlords (those who live outside the UK for more than 6 months each year). Whether you are 3 miles or 30 thousand miles away from your property, you need a letting agent that you can trust, don’t risk your extremely valuable property, use a letting agent in St Albans like Let Me Properties that is tried, tested, and regulated!
Here to Help Every Step of the Way:
There are so many parts to the lettings process. From all the regulations, fire electrical and gas safety, certificates, deposit protection, etc. to creating solid tenancy agreements, sending proper notices and dealing with the day in and day out management of the property, we are extremely experienced and we’re here to help. We offer a complete service where we handle everything for our landlords, so they can sit back and relax whilst we professionally manage their property to the highest standards for them. However we are flexible, and here to help at all stages, or just the steps you want us to. Here are a few of the ways we can help and advise you on below.
Preparing the property:
- Decorating and repairing your property to suit the right type of tenant
- Arranging safety checks and certificates as required
- Furnishing if required, and advising you on whether furnished or unfurnished would be best
- Anything else that may be important in preparing your property for the perfect tenants
Marketing and Viewings:
- Professional marketing to professional tenants
- Arranging and conducting viewings to minimise disruption to you or your tenants
- Giving you meaningful feedback
- Discussing and negotiating the best offers
Thorough Referencing and Credit Checking:
- All our referencing is managed in house by our skilled team to ensure nothing is missed
- We use some of the UK’s Top Referencing Solution Providers to thoroughly check the credit history, work history, and rental history (where applicable) of every single professional tenant we place.
- We pride ourselves on how thorough our referencing process is, and because of this our tenant default rate is almost ZERO.
- Taking copies of the tenants’ ID documents, Proof of Address, Bank Statements, Payslips, etc.
- Preparing the tenancy agreement, special tenancy condition clauses, and the notices required to make sure you get your property back at the end of the tenancy
- Registering the deposit with one of the Government approved deposit protection schemes
- Serving the tenants with all the required documents including proof of the tenancy deposit certificate, prescribed information, gas certificate, and any other documents required
Maintenance and Repairs:
- Dealing with maintenance enquiries and reports of required repairs from tenants
- Making sure there is actually a breakdown, and not just something simple like topping up the boiler pressure, or cleaning out the washing machine filter
- Determining whether to repair or replace a broken item or appliance
- Instructing the best contractors to repair or maintain the property
- Handling the payment of invoices for contractors and ensuring good records are kept
- Overseeing routine safety checks, making sure they are done, recorded properly, and that the tenants are kept in the loop
Keeping an Eye on your Property:
- It is vitally important that your property is visited regularly
- Visiting regularly ensures that bad behaviour by tenants can be corrected quickly and not allowed to get worse
- Making sure that the property is in full repair and ensuring that routine maintenance is scheduled and dealt with as required.
Our Level of Involvement is Your Choice:
- Do you want us to fully manage every aspect of the lettings process? Or do you just want us to market the property and find the perfect tenant?
- Maybe you want us to help with collecting the rent every month, saving you some of the hassle and helping you with keeping records?
- Or, perhaps you would like to pick and choose which aspects of our services you require. We pride ourselves on our flexibility.
Final Thoughts, it is very often cheaper to use our fully managed service than it is to go at it alone:
Some landlords believe in the false economy that if they manage the property themselves, they can save money. On the whole this is almost never the case. Unless you have lots of properties all in the same area, with a full time staff to help you manage everything, the chances are you will end up spending more money, than if you let us manage everything for you. The main reasons for this are:
Our landlords are usually highly skilled people who’s time is worth a lot more than ours
If you are a lawyer, accountant, doctor, dentist, architect, developer, business person, investor, etc. 1 Hour of your time, is probably worth over a month of having us manage your properties for you. If you earn £250 per hour being the best at what you do, then paying us a small management rate and having us on call every minute of every year, being the best at what we do, makes a whole lot of sense. If you assume that you will spend 20 to 30 hours per year self-managing your property (probably A LOT MORE) then work out what you will pay us, and we are confident you will see how cost effective using our managed service is.
We get discounts for bulk buying services, and these discounts get passed onto our landlords
We instruct hundreds of gas certificates each year, we instruct hundreds of electrical call outs, maintenance visits, appliance repairs, appliance and furniture purchases, etc. So not only do we get the best prices because of how often and how much we buy, we also have the best people for everything. How often do pipes get blocked so badly that you need a specialist? Not very often thankfully – well if you are self managing and pick up the yellow pages, you will soon see that it’ll cost you over £100 + VAT to call out someone new. If we are fully managing your property, the chances are it’ll only cost £50 + VAT. Most landlords know a plumber, some landlords know a good plumber, we know the best plumbers. Not only do our engineers repair issues quickly and efficiently, because of the amount of work we send them, they give us the best prices. Currently a gas certificate AND boiler service only cost £60 with NO VAT in total. Unlike many other agencies, we pass all these savings onto our landlords, and these savings more often than not end up covering at least half of our management fee each year.
Do you know: what to do, who to call, who should pay – We Do
Many landlords can pick up a phone and call a plumber when the boiler breaks down, but do they know who to call for more complicated issues? What about that damp or mould problem, is that caused by condensation because the tenant isn’t opening windows, is it a leaking pipe or blocked gutter, or maybe it is some blown rendering on the exterior wall – we are very experienced in dealing with these issues, and we more often than not will call out the right person for the job straight away. We can also help judge whether the tenant should pay for something, or whether it is the landlord’s responsibility.