This policy sets out the terms and conditions relating to the provision and usage of the internet that is provided to tenants along with their property.
The tenant (you, yours, their, etc.) accepts that where the internet has been provided to them by their landlord or the landlord’s agent via a 3rd party service provider such as Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BT, etc. (we, us, our, etc.):
1. You are responsible for the way the equipment and services are used. You must not do any of the following acts or allow anyone else to do the following acts in relation to the equipment and/or services:
1. send a message or communication that is offensive, abusive, defamatory (damages someone’s reputation), obscene, menacing or illegal;
2. cause annoyance, nuisance, inconvenience or needless worry to, or break the rights of, any other person;
3. perform any illegal activity, or try to break, the security of anyone else’s equipment, hardware or software;
4. deliberately receive, use, own, post, transmit or publish illegal material (including, but not limited to, images of child abuse);
5. upload, download, post, publish or transmit any information, material or software that is protected by copyright or other ownership rights without the permission of its owner;
6. copy, distribute, attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse-engineer, modify, sub-license, or use for any other purposes any software or equipment we provide except:
7. use any services (including, but not limited to, internet service) in a manner not consistent with reasonable residential domestic use;
8. use any Internet Protocol (IP) address that we have not assigned to you. Put simply, you may not use the services to harm the service of another internet user or impersonate another user, whether on our network or external to our network. You acknowledge that we may change your Internet Protocol (IP) address from time to time without giving you notice;
9. use the services in a way that: (i) risks degradation of service levels to other customers; (ii) puts our system at risk; and/or (iii) is not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a residential customer.
If we believe that you are using the services in any of these ways, we are entitled to reduce, suspend a and/or terminate any or all of the services without giving you notice.
2. You must, at all times, make sure that the way you use the services does not break the law or infringe the rights of any other person.
3. The following acts are not permitted:
1. copying or steaming any copyright protected content except as may be permitted by law (and if this kind of copying becomes illegal in the future you must stop doing it);
2. You will be liable for any charges from other organisations while using the service, as well as those billed by us as set out in our price guides.
3. You agree to take responsibility for all liabilities, claims and losses which are in any way connected with misusing the services, or with getting the services without our permission, and to repay fully any costs or losses of this kind which we may suffer.
4. If you misuse the services, get the services from us without our permission, or do not meet your responsibilities, we will be entitled to suspend supply of the services, end this agreement and/or terminate any licence to use the software on the equipment.
5. You should take reasonable steps to make sure that, while it is not in use, the electricity supplied to your cable modem/router is not turned off and that it is in standby or rest mode (unless we advise you otherwise).
6. Where a usage or storage allowance is allocated to you as part of the services, you are responsible for making sure that you do not use more than your allowance. We are not responsible for any negative consequences of your failure to do so. Furthermore, if you exceed any allowance applicable to your services, we reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to re-grade the services in question at the appropriate charge and/or to charge you for any additional usage or storage at the appropriate rate (if any) set out in the price guides. If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible.
7. We reserve the right to remove by immediate notice to you or other users where we, in our reasonable opinion, believe you or others have violated this agreement or is otherwise harmful to our interests or the interests of other users of the services.
8. Some parts of the services may enable you to access third party content and services (some of which may require you to accept additional terms and which may be subject to additional fees), and you agree that we are not responsible for any such third-party content or services.
4. Services are provided without guarantee, warranty, or liability:
1. We do not guarantee the quality of the service;
2. Any issues you have with the service must be reported directly to the service provider (usually Virgin Media, TalkTalk, BT, or PlusNet);
3. Any failure of the internet service will not result in any form of compensation (rent reduction, compensation for losses you incur, etc.);
4. Weakness in signal, speed of connection, or otherwise, is not our responsibility and may be due to your equipment or the supply provided by the 3rd party service provider.
By accessing the internet connection in any way, you accept these terms and conditions.